Rules and conditions: (the small print)

  1. Staying in the apartment is at the guest’s own risk.
  2. Check-in is from 4 p.m. on arrival day and check-out is at 10 a.m. on departure day, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
  3. Compulsory final cleaning is paid by the guest direct to Halil Sakin in Özdere before departure.
  4. The guest empties the waste into the common rubbish bins at the entrance, strip beds etc. and put bed linen and used towels on the floor next to the washing machine.
  5. All doors and windows must be closed and locked.
  6. Keys are handed over direct to Halil Sakin in Özdere.
  7. On departure, the garden furniture/barbeque/sunshade must be placed inside. It is up to the next guest to take it outside again. The sunshade base, however, stays outside.
  8. Damaged items must be reimbursed to the owner.
  9. All white goods, air conditioning, barbeque, TV, radio etc. must be treated in accordance with the instructions (displayed in the apartment). No compensation is paid if equipment or appliances become defective during the rental period. The defective item, however, will be repaired soonest possible.
  10. The guest is not allowed to make repairs or changes of any kind. All changes etc. must be initiated by the owner or Halil Sakin after prior agreement.
  11. Furniture, equipment and other items must not be removed from the apartment or taken outside to the pool, garden or beach.
  12. Burglary and theft are not covered, and the guest must take out the necessary insurances.
  13. Consideration must be shown to other guests according to the rules. This also applies to the use of the pool area.
  14. Noisy behavior in the apartment complex is not allowed. If this rule is not respected, the owner can terminate the rental agreement without compensation or refunding of rent or deposit. The related consequences for the guest is of no concern to the owner.
  15. The agreed payment is effected on booking, and the amount is transferred to the owner’s account. Deposit for possible damage etc. is made in advance. All terms are agreed between the guest and the owner.
  16. The full amount falls due 6 weeks before the start of the rental period - on booking, 25% of the rent and a deposit are paid. If the remaining 75% of the amount is not paid at least 45 days prior to arrival, the rental agreement is cancelled, and no amount will be refunded.
  17. A deposit of 750 DKK must be paid to cover potential damage, preliminary electricity consumption, non-payment of cleaning etc. The deposit will be refunded not later than 14 days after the end of the rental period, provided that no damage etc. requires a cashing.
  18. If the rental agreement is entered less than 45 days before the rental period, the total amount and deposit must be paid, and in case of cancellation of the rental agreement, only the deposit amount will be refunded.
  19. The owner is not obliged to refund any part of the rent in case of illness of one or more guests before, during or after the stay. The guest is responsible for taking out the necessary travel insurances for travels to Turkey.
  20. The owner is not responsible for transport, hereunder delays – neither flight delays nor delays in pick up/transport to and from the airport or other delays, including luggage claims.
  21. The owner reserves the right to declare force majeure in the event that the apartment is uninhabitable due to storm, earthquake or other natural disasters. Under such circumstances the owner cannot be held responsible for owner’s failure to fulfil the contractual obligations.
  22. If a double booking occurs, the guest will be referred to another apartment at no extra costs to the guest. The guest cannot be guaranteed the same apartment standard, but the owner will make every effort to procure a similar apartment locally in Turkey. The costs incurred herewith are no concern of the guest.
  23. Any dispute that may arise from this agreement shall be settled according to Danish law under the jurisdiction of the court of Svendborg. The related costs incurred for the guest are of no concern to the owner.
  24. The apartment is intended for 6 persons and must not be inhabited by more persons without the written consent of the owner. If this rule is not observed, the owner has the right to turn away the guests with no obligation to refund the rental amount or deposit. The implications of such action is of no concern to the owner.